Californians for Consumer Privacy is pleased to announce that the CPRA Resource Center is now ready for your viewing pleasure! It is by far the definitive set of content out there for both California residents and privacy experts to better understand and interpret the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA) that was enacted into law with the passage of Proposition 24.
Contents of Resource Center
In the CPRA Resource Center you can find:
- CPRA Resource Center Home Page — the landing page that tells you what content you can review.
- CPRA Exec Summary — a one-page overview of the CPRA; this is good content to share with Californians so they can understand their new privacy rights.
- CPRA Summary by Section — an overview of each section of the CPRA; think of it as a Reader’s Digest of the text the law.
- CPRA Text — the text of the law; we provide four versions (more on that below).
- CPRA Timeline — walks you through what happens when in terms of implementation and rollout of the CPRA.
Expect more content to roll out over the coming months!
The CPRA Text
The CPRA Text is the heart of the Resource Center. We offer 4 versions:
- Annotated CPRA Text showing Changes from CCPA — this has over 175 annotations of key passages of the law and shows the changes from the CCPA to CPRA. This text represents what was approved by voters with Prop 24.
- Unannotated CPRA Text showing Changes from CCPA — the text above but without the annotations.
- Annotated CPRA Text — this has the annotations but does not show showing what was changed from CCPA, i.e. a clean copy of the CPRA.
- CPRA Text — does not display any annotation or any changes from the CCPA.
And the good news is you can easily toggle to what version you like with a single click at the top of each of the 4 pages.
The beauty of the CPRA Text we provide is the following:
- each section is hyperlinked to with a unique URL, e.g. the definition of “precise geolocation” is found at 1798.140(w) and you can point someone to that exact section via a link — https://www.caprivacy.org/annotated-cpra-text-with-ccpa-changes/#1798.140(w)
- each defined term is hyperlinked to the actual definition inside the text, as well as 100s of additional terms have hyperlinks to them. So, when you read a section that references “dark pattern”, the definition is a click away.
- over 175 annotations, providing additional “color commentary” to the text, straight from the person (Alastair) who brought us CPRA. The annotations can be viewed by simply hovering over the parts of the text that the annotations are associated with it
- the ability to easily see the changes of CPRA vis a vis CCPA (or not see it).
We hope you enjoy the CPRA Resource Center!